Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Spirit of Atlanta


So, in searching old photos for Atlanta for a couple projects I'm working on in my spare time (read: I'm unemployed and need to kill time) I came across a thumpin' single called "Buttermilk Bottom", after the intown neighborhood. The neighborhood is one of my latest obsessions, or at least what was the neighborhood. It was basically destroyed by the DOT, City of Atlanta, Southern Company, developers and Central Atlanta Progress. In any case, in further research I found out where the single comes from. An AMAZING album called The Burning of Atlanta by the assembled band The Spirit of Atlanta. Produced by local funk impresario, Tommy Stewart on his Buddah Records label, it was supposed to be the soundtrack for an unrealized movie (interview here). Still, friends we are left with a jewel of funk dedicated to the city that by all accounts should have had a real soul/funk scene, but never really did. Peachtree Street is just oozes smooth. Enjoy!
At least the 4 or 5 people who actually read this blog.

No comments: